Electrocutions in Diani, Kenya

Dear Readers: Some pictures in this blog you may find distressing.

We are Joyce and Angelique and we are volunteers at the Colobus Trust. In Holland we both work as nurses and here we’ve been helping John in the vet clinic. Recently we’ve been really shocked by seeing an electrocuted bush baby and an electrocuted colobus.

Last week someone brought a bush baby to us that had been electrocuted. Both his legs and feet and one hand were affected. One of his lower-legs had gone completely, the other was badly maimed and on his hand only the bones remained. Due to the fact that the bush baby didn’t have any feeling in his arms or legs he started eating himself in his cage. The only thing we could do is to put him out of his misery because he was suffering too much. It was terrible to see the bush baby electrocuted and in pain like that.


Above: The Bush Baby with his injuries

Today we got a phone call on the Colobus Trust hotline. We were told that there was a Colobus which had fallen down into a room of a derelict hotel. The person who called told us that the Colobus’ leg was broken. We responded to this call and went to the location and when we arrived we saw the Colobus was sitting on a balcony. We tried to capture him but yet he was still strong and tried to get away. Staff members John and Peter captured the colobus with a net. At that moment we saw his injuries were very serious. Both his legs and his arm were broken. It was discovered that he fell down from an electric wire after being electrocuted. His feet and his hand were still there but one of his legs was only hanging by a bit of skin. It was really horrible to see how the Colobus was suffering.


Above: The Colobus in the clinic

Below: The injuries caused by electrocution and the subsequent fall


We put him in a cage and brought him to the surgery. The vet gave him an injection directly straight into his heart. The Colobus died- unfortunately we couldn’t save him. He would never be able to survive in nature without his feet and his hand.

It has really been a sad week to see these horrible things happening. There are huge lengths of electricity wires here everywhere and primates don’t know they can’t touch them. Obviously the human population need the wires but many animals die because of this. The trust adapts tubing for insulation which goes around the wires so monkeys can pass without getting electrocuted. The trust has already done some good work on the wires but we still need funding to get more wires insulated to save more monkeys.

Help us helping and donate to the Colobus Trust.

Thank you,

Joyce and Angelique


Bookmark and Share


  1. Wyclef
    Posted December 18, 2009 at 8:37 am | Permalink

    The continued encroachment and new constructions are also a contributing factor. The limited land and new power lines that are not insulated put these innocent creatures. All new power lines Should have a mandatory insulation to effectively cub this danger.

  2. Rebecca, Australia
    Posted December 18, 2009 at 10:14 am | Permalink

    I agree, if it costs so little to insulate ($2.50 a metre?), the Kenyan government should be doing this as standard for new installations and going over the old ones!

    I made a $20 donation the other day for insulation, I hope you’ve managed to use it to cover a few metres.

    Sad to see these photos but we have to know what is happening.

  3. Colobus
    Posted December 18, 2009 at 10:49 am | Permalink

    Thank you Rebecca! We’re insulating another 100m this morning which you have contributed to. We appreciate your help! We’re working on tackling the hotspots for electrocutions(areas where any primate is known to have injured themselves) and Kenya Power and Lighting are working with us on this issue as much as they can. Here’s hoping we can get them all covered!

    Cara, Assistant Manager

  4. pascalle
    Posted December 18, 2009 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

    dear people,
    A few years ago I was used that I received a newsletter from the Trust. This is a long time ago. Is it coming back?
    Grtz from the Netherlands,

  5. Rebecca, Australia
    Posted December 19, 2009 at 3:57 am | Permalink

    Thanks for the update Cara, good news.

    Just a question about the vet giving an injection into the heart, what was it for? Is that a common practice?

    Pascalle – just stay on this blog and subscribe to the RSS feed for updates – everything you need is here! :)

  6. Brenton H
    Posted December 19, 2009 at 6:00 am | Permalink

    Rebecca, Australia. I wanted to wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. It is great to have a fellow Australian commenting on the blogs here on Wildlife Direct.

  7. Rebecca, Australia
    Posted December 20, 2009 at 12:08 am | Permalink

    Thanks Brenton, same to you!

  8. Mary Plompen
    Posted December 21, 2009 at 11:19 am | Permalink

    I am very proud of my 2 Great friends Joyce en Angelique. They are doing a great job. I gave Joyce 25 euro to donate to you. I hope that you will get a lot of donations in the future. Keep up the good work! I miss my friends very much back in Holland but for all the good work they are doing, Its worth it that I am missing them for a while.

    Greetz from the Netherlands, Mary

  9. Eirik Jarl Trondsen
    Posted December 21, 2009 at 11:32 am | Permalink

    Dear Mary

    My name is EJT I am the manager at Colobus Trust.

    I would like to appreciate your donation of Euro 25.
    This is wonderful news, and when we receive it we will be able to insulate more lines, do more animal welfare calls etc.

    The girls are doing a great job here and we are excited!

    I would also like to wish you all the best for 09, and a happy festive season!


  10. luciana
    Posted December 23, 2009 at 11:02 am | Permalink

    Hi, I am Luciana a Director of the Colobus Trust. Yes, I too was there to see these poor electrocuted anmals and I am still having nightmares! To all of you who have donated THANK YOU – but please help us as we do need to insulate more and more powerlines – the needless and long suffering these animals go through is horrifying.

Post a Comment